This is a list of recommended basic things to take base camping (car camping), you can modify it according to your needs. Remember when in doubt, pick up the phone and call us at (303)699-6944 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to check all of our Geek Advise, with lots of useful camping information.
- Tent – Make it big and roomy in case it rains and you need to spend some quality time in it. If you are a family or group of four, consider an 8 man tent that can divide into two or three rooms for a little privacy and changing area or a second tent dedicated to gear and it can double as a changing area. If there are just two of you, check out a 3 or 4 person tent, but my wife and I often take a six person tent for camping.
- Sleeping Pads – A good pad may make or break your trip….or your spouse’s trip. I luv luv luv a two inch thick sleeping pad for a good night’s rest!
- Sleeping Bag – You will not sleep well unless you are warm. Upgrade that Barbie sleeping bag before your trip.
- Lighting – We carry head lamps that will turn your night into day. If you have not used head lamps in the past, give them a try. It’s nice to be hands free with a light that goes where your eyes go when you’re out in the wilderness.
- Stove and/or Grill – I’d take both so you can cook over the fire and have a back-up in case of rain.
- Camp dishes -We carry 2 or 4 person sets.
- 7 Gallon water container – These can be really handy if you are more than 100 feet from a water source.
- Several other portable water containers – Consider some 2 liter water bladders if you plan on hiking and the 96 oz canteen is really handy and multi-purpose.
- Camp Chairs – If you have the room, chairs are a key to comfort. We also rent camp chairs and tables.
- Water filter – I always like to take a water filter so I don’t have to worry about having enough water. If you are being active at higher altitudes, you may go through a gallon of water per person per day. I know it sounds like a lot, but it’s what you need to stay healthy and active in the high country
- Camp Food – Bring it from home or buy from us. You may want to buy just a few meals from us and give them a try. Dehydrated food is very good now-a-days and our breakfast items are quick and easy.
- Bear Canister – if you are like most people your thinking you will just put your food in the car and it will be safe. Don’t count on it. Bears have torn apart plenty of cars to get to tasty smelling food. No need to panic, just get a canister or two and be safe.
- Snacks – Hey, this is car camping. No need to rough it too much. We carry some awesome dried apples if you want a nice healthy snack.
- Beverages – I only included this to remind you that if you are planning on drinking alcohol and you are camping at altitude, be very careful. Alcohol has an increased impact at altitude and high altitude hangovers are not fun.
- Shovel – Most of us need to dig a hole at some point when we are camping. We provide a hand trowel free with our rental packages.
- Saw or hatchet – If I have to choose, it is saw all the way. A saw goes a long way when it comes to working with logs for the fire. And, you can’t chop a hole in your foot with a saw.
- Multi-tool – Or a knife. But let’s face it, a multi tool is much more practical.
- Side arm? – Only if it is legal where you are camping and you know how to use it. Check this information also.
- Compass / GPS – I like to have both with us. A compass is a must and a GPS can be just as important if you are hiking.
The Geek Keeps a Checklist!
Simply put, we love the outdoors and Outdoors Geek is here to help put quality outdoor experiences within your reach. We have a wide range of outdoor experience including backpacking, camping, hiking, group trips, guiding, canoeing, car camping, fly fishing high mountain lakes, hunting trips, climbing 14ers, and more. We are the only place on the planet where you can Rent it, Try it, or Buy it. You can count on Outdoors Geek for top notch gear and all the help you need to make your outdoors adventure happen.For more than 20 years, we have been testing everything from packs, to tents, to stoves and hundreds of other products. We’ve got the good stuff right here at Outdoors Geek. And we’re not just talking about Colorado for renting or buying Camping Gear, we will ship anywhere!