- Provides interactive, two-way SOS messaging to your command center or GEOS
- 100% global Satellite coverage with no blackout areas or fringe zones
- Built in Navigation – Create, view or navigate to waypoints
- Access to downloadable topo maps and NOAA charts on paired mobile devices
- Color screen and virtual keyboard
- Map grid view showing route and actual tracks
- Pairing with cell phone for much more functional keyboard and easy messaging
- 100 hours of battery life in 10-minute tracking mode with clear view of the sky
- 6.7 ounce weight
- 160 character send and receive messages
Why rent an inReach Explorer?
GPS units like the Explorer, as awesome as they are, don’t have regular use for most of us. Yes, it’s a great way to stay in touch when we are out in the field. But, how often is that? For most of us it’s once a year….or in a big year twice. So, if you buy an Explorer, you are in it for $379 in plus tax and possibly shipping. And then there are contract and usage charges that can easily run $200 to $600 a year. Buying could make sense, but for many, the best economic decision is to rent an Explorer when you need one.
How many bytes do I need?
Text Messages (average 80 bytes) – Messages send and received, with bytes dependent upon message length. Each character is equal to one byte, with a minimum message size of 16 bytes, not including recipients’ contact information. You are charged for both sent and received messages.
Preset Messages and Quick Texts (15 bytes) – Preset messages are short, commonly-used messages that are set up in your back office account and pre-loaded to your inReach ahead of time. Quick Tents are commonly used messages you want to send often instead of writing a custom reply.
Tracking Points (13 bytes) – Flexible tracking intervals ranging anywhere from 30 seconds to four hours to show worker or asset locations. Each standard track point is 13 bytes. Starting and stopping tracking consumes 15 bytes each. Every interval change consumes 17 bytes.
Location Pings with MapShare (25 bytes) – Enables you to see a worker or asset location if inReach is powered on but tracking is not activated.
Check messages (10 bytes) – Use “Check Messages” icon outside normal listening interval to check for pending incoming messages.
Do I need to buy additional data for my rental?
Well, that’s a good question. We give you 2000 bytes with every rental. So will that last? Maybe, maybe not. How much communicating do you want to do and do you want to use tracking? Both of those take data….well everything you do takes data so we give you reduced rates if you buy in advance. If you use more than what you purchase in advance, the additional charges are $10 per 1000 bytes. So please, buy in advance because it costs so much more to be back billed for data usage.