- Small, rugged, lightweight satellite communicator enables two-way text messaging via 100% global Iridium® satellite network
- Trigger an interactive SOS to the 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center
- Access downloadable maps, U.S. NOAA charts, color aerial imagery and more by using the free Garmin Earthmate® app and compatible devices
- Send and receive inReach messages through compatible Garmin devices, including connected wearables and handhelds
- Internal, rechargeable lithium battery provides up to 90 hours of battery life in 10-minute tracking mode
Why rent an inReach mini?
inReach Mini is your go-to connection for maintaining off-the-grid contact. It’s our palm-sized satellite communicator for adventures where size and weight matter. inReach Mini lets you send and receive text messages, track and share your journey and, if necessary, trigger an SOS alert to contact the GEOS 24/7 emergency response team. With inReach connectivity, your family and friends will know they can stay in touch globally.
How many bytes do I need?
Text Messages (average 80 bytes) – Messages send and received, with bytes dependent upon message length. Each character is equal to one byte, with a minimum message size of 16 bytes, not including recipients’ contact information. You are charged for both sent and received messages.
Preset Messages and Quick Texts (15 bytes) – Preset messages are short, commonly-used messages that are set up in your back office account and pre-loaded to your inReach ahead of time. Quick Tents are commonly used messages you want to send often instead of writing a custom reply.
Tracking Points (13 bytes) – Flexible tracking intervals ranging anywhere from 30 seconds to four hours to show worker or asset locations. Each standard track point is 13 bytes. Starting and stopping tracking consumes 15 bytes each. Every interval change consumes 17 bytes.
Location Pings with MapShare (25 bytes) – Enables you to see a worker or asset location if inReach is powered on but tracking is not activated.
Check messages (10 bytes) – Use “Check Messages” icon outside normal listening interval to check for pending incoming messages.
Do I need to buy additional data for my rental?
Well, that’s a good question. We give you 2000 bytes with every rental. So will that last? Maybe, maybe not. How much communicating do you want to do and do you want to use tracking? Both of those take data….well everything you do takes data so we give you reduced rates if you buy in advance. If you use more than what you purchase in advance, the additional charges are $10 per 1000 bytes. So please, buy in advance because it costs so much more to be back billed for data usage.