As the Thanksgiving Holiday approaches, you may not be thinking of spending it around a campsite. But Thanksgiving is a great time get outdoors before the cold snow starts to pile up. Thanksgiving is the time we set aside to be thankful for so many things, and enjoy the people we love. So what better way than to head out to the great outdoors, away from the digital world and enjoy your loved ones? You can create an authentic, wilderness style Thanksgiving meal by bringing along your turkey legs to roast on the open fire. Cook up some great sides by roasting a few sweet potatoes on a skewer and top them with marshmallows. Toss some corn on the cob over the fire and before you know it, a quick, wilderness Thanksgiving meal is served! If that sounds like too much work for Thanksgiving, consider booking a site at one of the many camping spots offering a full Thanksgiving dinner experience.
Here are 5 moderate climate spots to camp this Thanksgiving:
- Disney World’s Fort Wilderness Resort: Disney’s acclaimed campsite, surrounded by pristine untouched Floridian Flora and Fauna, this treasure is tucked away so well you’d almost never know it existed. With the added benefit of close proximity to Disney’s parks (and the perk of early entry hours for hotel guests) this campsite is a treasure for the whole family. Back at the campground, you can choose to cook your own thanksgiving meal or reserve your spot at one of the family-friendly dinner shows in Fort Wilderness or in the surrounding park restaurants. River rapids, fishing and hiking all await you!
- Tallulah Gorge, Tallulah Falls, Georgia: This is no mild adventure. This 3 mile – “Walk off that turkey” Hike will lead you to river crossings and boulder leaps. Pack a lunch and a bathing suit or at least a change of clothes. Remember the weather in the South is still quite moderate at this time of year.
- South Padre Island, TX, KOA campground: Located on the unique and beautiful coastline of South, TX, you can take comfort in the tried and true features of a KOA campground. Cleanliness and a family atmosphere will be your standards at this site! Enjoy a Thanksgiving potluck for all campers to celebrate this year!
- Lake Waccamaw State Park, NC: Don’t miss this hilarious Talk N’ Turkey trail hike that starts just minutes from your campsite. You will talk and hike just about anything turkey.
- Upper Pines, Yosemite, National Park, CA: Don’t worry about cooking for Thanksgiving on this camping trip. Instead, reserve your spot at one of the 3 specialty dinners being hosted by this locale. Professional chefs await you at The Ahwahnee Dining room, The Mountain Room at the Yosemite Lodge, or the Wawona Dining room. With breathtaking views, you won’t regret spending your Thanksgiving in this famous park!
There are so many ways to get outdoors this Thanksgiving. Don’t avoid camping in Fall and Winter! Be prepared and if necessary head a little further south to a more moderate climate. Thanksgiving is the perfect time to start a new family camping tradition!